An ordinary expense is one that is common in your trade or Coeur d’Alene business.
A necessary expense is one that is useful and appropriate for your trade or Coeur d’Alene business.
The two biggest reasons why you might lose a business expense deduction are:
- you didn’t keep good tax records to prove your decision
- you must capitalize the expense
You could also lose deductions if the IRS thinks you aren’t operating the business to make a profit. This is commonly referred to as a “hobby business,” and its sole purpose is to create losses to offset income elsewhere.
Some common business expenses include:
- General business expenses
- Labor costs, including a salary or other compensation you receive as the owner-employee of your own corporation
- Office supplies
- Marketing and advertising
- Phone, internet and office utilities
- Travel Expenses